A 19th century apartment house is located at Borisoglebsky Pereulok, 6. From 1913 to 1923, one of the apartments in the house was occupied by Marina Tsvetaeva, Russian poet, novelist and translator. To celebrate Tsvetaeva’s 125th birthday, the house is being renovated and a new navigation system created at the studio is being installed.
Guests in the house
Movement around the house is organized around staircases. First, guests need to go downstairs to purchase tickets, then go up to the first or second floor to visit exhibition halls and the apartment. Despite the complexity of the route, there are few navigation signs which helps keep the space uncluttered. The contents of the signs are also simple: the apartment is upstairs, tickets are downstairs.
Exhibition halls have the same numbers as the apartments in which they are located. A brief historical reference next to each of them introduces guests to its occupants.
Most of the signs are made of stone. They have a pleasant volume and a barely noticeable texture rhyming with the appearance of the house.
The museum’s primary exhibit is located in apartment 3 where the poet used to live. Inside, the apartment replicates the 1910s interior which means there are no navigation signs and guests have to rely on an introduction and a volumetric floor plan by the entrance.
Tsvetaeva was right to call her apartment “a pile of rooms.” To help visitors navigate the complex space, each area is represented by a bright and memorable object from its furnishings.
While exploring the house, guests are bound to end up at the back stairs where the story of the house continues.
Service areas are locked and subtly marked with small door handle signs that are inconspicuous and don’t ruin the impression of the exhibition.