The work on the current edition started back in 2009, when the grid for all books published by our studio was quite different.
Then, there was a long period of maturing for the third edition, spent on our server. In 2011 we tried to change its layout completely. Among others we tested the off-center layout with narrow margins and page numbers on top.
It did not turn out good.
Rethinking the grid. All dimensions, including indents and the book size, are a multiple of 4 mm.
The resulting book condensed from a weak and unambitious 145 by 217.5 mm to a solid 144 by 216 mm. These proportions feel much more pleasant, straight-forward, and convenient for typesetting.
Proofreader combs through the text, meticulously picking out crafty hyphenations.
The previous edition got saved from the embarrassment of a decent-looking word being broken up by hyphenation into the four letter word of less decency.
This time the unwanted hyphenations were caught and neutralized in a timely manner as well.
Designing the dust jacket.
Preparing color proofs and sending a weighty PDF to the printers.